Manage Playback Controls
Showing and Hiding Controls
The playback controls can be embedded in the player window or can be shown in a separate window. To switch between these two modes go to View → Show Controls in a Separate Window or use the hotkey ⌃⌘C.
1. If the controls are built into the player window (Show Controls in a Separate Window – off):
- Autohide Controls – on: the controls will be shown only when you hover over the video;
- Autohide Controls – off: the controls can be shown/hidden manually by clicking View → Show/Hide Controls or by using the hotkey ⌥⌘C.
2. If the controls are displayed in a separate window (Show Controls in a Separate Window – on):
- You can drag the controls window to any place on the desktop.
- The control window can be shown/hidden manually by clicking View → Show/Hide Controls or by using the hotkey ⌥⌘C.
With bookmarks, you can create shortcuts to your favorite parts of a video and easily skip back to them later.
To bookmark a position in a video, go to the Playback menu and select Bookmarks → Bookmark Current Position. From there you can also quickly navigate through your bookmarks by selecting them in the list.
The option “Prompt Before Adding a Bookmark” shows a window every time you create a bookmark. In this window, you can specify the time and the name of the newly created bookmark.
Choose “Edit bookmarks…” to change the names and timecodes of the bookmarks you’ve made, or you can create new bookmarks directly from this window.
If the Auto-Delete Next Time Selected option is checked, your respective bookmarks will be deleted as soon as selected. To clear your bookmarks list, click Remove All Bookmarks.
Export Bookmarks – allows exporting bookmarks to a separate file and adding them later to a video if needed.
Import Bookmarks – allows importing previously saved bookmarks and adding them to a video.
Navigating through Chapters in MKV files
MKV files may be divided into chapters, which are just sections of the file designed for quick navigation through the video, much like the chapters in a book. If your MKV file has chapters, you will see them listed under the Playback menu: